Club Car IQ Golf Cart Speed Setting 4

jeffsgarage

A little background. 2002 Club Car IQ golf cart street legal set up. Stock motor and controller (speed setting 4). NO lift kit, but 10 inch rims with low profile tires (about 18 tall total). I did build and install new 2 gauge wire, but no solenoid upgrade. Currently just under 21 mph. I guess looking for ideas and thoughts, pro's and con's of each. I have her ripped apart now and trying to decide what to do prior to putting it back together.

jeffsgarage

Obviously less is better, but I'm looking more at what will be most reliable/dependable. This is for a daily driver more less. I've done a lot of reading on the forums over the last couple of months, but looking for kind of consolodated pro's and cons to see if I've missed anything in my consideration. It seems most of these options would get me to the goal. I realize the higher end - motor/controller/soleniod/f&r switch combo through D&D roughly $1200.

JRay

Cartaholic
I'm also running an 02 Club Car IQ golf cart. 6 inch lift 23 inch tires. I have it on speed setting 4 getting the same speed you are. So I am looking forward to the ideas here.

jeffsgarage

GBR- Are you trying to say that perhaps I may want to go a "little" bit faster in the future once the bug hits me? For another build, another time we can talk. Although this is going to be more of a daily driver, it is a bit of a show cart and I am planning on using it at outings for advertisment as well.

GarageBuilt

Ok # 5 says motor & controller. All I'm. Saying is make it series...Then all you will need is a f/r contractor ..plus a pb-6 pot box.. The money you spend on the pot box & f/r contractor will be worth the speed.

GarageBuilt

Sorry for not sticking to the poll... I get carried away with speed some times !!!!!! I started out around 15 mph then 45 than 55 then 65 & now 75 .... When I get back to the track I'm looking for 85 mph.... Wish I could help you with your poll questions but I don't know enough about I Q carts to be any help...

jeffsgarage

Thanks for input - was just a conversation starter. I went ahead and ordered a D&D motor for starters. I will see how it preforms and report back. They were very nice and helpful while ordering and I should have it monday. I want to start putting back together - weather finally starting to break. snow gone and out of the 20"s.

jeffsgarage

Well, motor showed up and 15 minutes later it was installed. Makes it nice with body off! Rewiring rest of accessories at moment- new voltage reducer and fuse block - converted standard lights to hid's. Easy install on them - once again, front body off as well. and the SNOW is back!

jeffsgarage

Ok - Finally got it together for some testing and a little shake down.
Here is the link to photo's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74997811@N06/

So far the D&D motor is just as advertised. 24 mph average on flat ground. Best was 29 mph on long gentle downhill grade. Did loose a little torque, doing motor only, (once again - completely as advertised) may have to do controller as well. I have some noise reducers on order for some of radio components - not very good reception and a lot of motor noise coming through. Sounds great when not moving. HID's bright as hell.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I'm not a big Elect dude but i do know the money spent on the controller will give you the whole picture, my guess is that the radio interference will also go away if the controller is not so loaded :twocents:

jeffsgarage

Thanks guys. I will probably do controller as well. Kinda wanted to see how it would do with just motor first. Ordered some "noise" filters for moment and making a custom headliner as well.