Cartaholics.com - The Golf Cart Forum for the Cart Enthusiast. Golf Cart Repairs, Golf Cart Troubleshooting, Golf Cart Wiring Diagrams, Golf Cart Manuals, Golf Cart FAQ, Golf Cart Reviews, Golf Cart Parts, Golf Cart Accessories, Golf Cart Lift Kits, Custom Golf Carts, etc.
Cartaholics on Facebook
Home
Mission
Forum
Rules
Golf Cart Events
Members Carts
Links
CAH on Facebook

Allsports Golf Cart Lift Kits and Golf Cart Accessories - Made in the USA

Search
Members
Calendar
Help
User CP
My Assistant

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

cartboy
  Posted: January 30, 2011 - 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 8884

I maintain a fleet of early, 2008, E Z Go RXVs, and am looking for others that have had problems with them.

Thanks.
PMEmail Poster
dirtysouth
Posted: January 30, 2011 - 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Cartaholic

Group: Sponsor
Member No.: 4509

Every manufacturer that has ever started a new model cart has had growing pains. What sort of troubles are you having? :tip:
PMEmail Poster
HotRodCarts
Posted: January 30, 2011 - 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Cartaholic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3
Illinois

Welcome to the forum...

I've seen several that needed the solenoid replaced. It's my understanding this was a problem with the early EZGO RXV.
I've heard of problems with the engine braking system, state of charge meter and the factory installed batteries not lasting very long.

What kind of problems are you seeing with the RXV?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
dougmcp
Posted: January 30, 2011 - 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Cartaholic

Member No.: 3548
Roseville, CA

QUOTE (dirtysouth @ January 30, 2011 - 11:32 AM)
Every manufacturer that has ever started a new model cart has had growing pains. What sort of troubles are you having? :tip:

I agree. The RXV was introduced in 08 and had well documented issues with the brake solenoid and some batteries failing.
Most of the issues were taken care of by the factory and everything seems to be OK with these carts now.
We have 2010 RXV's at my course and they have been trouble free.
I would also say a few of the problems at different courses have been the newness of the AC system and how the cat operates as opposed to the older DC carts.
The service company's understanding of the cart and maintenance are a big issue, if the service tech doesn't understand how it works or the carts are not maintained properly, problems will haunt any cart.
PMEmail Poster
Nubs
Posted: January 30, 2011 - 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Cartaholic

Member No.: 2002
Waldo Wisconsin

PMEmail PosterAOL
cartboy
Posted: January 30, 2011 - 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Thanks. :tip:

Pretty much what y'all have acknowledged. It's still going on. But, it's reassuring to get some confirmation, and to know we are not alone.

I played golf two days ago and the cart I unplugged first was totally dead. Then, the one I took died on the 10th hole.

First year, solenoid failure/autobrake lockup. All solenoids were replaced. A few of them have failed.

Now, batteries/charge quality is the big problem. Some regularly die during the first 18. Some won't accept a charge, just keep flipping chargers to flashing red.

Some battery terminals and cable connectors are heavily corroded and "dissolved".

The original battery autofill system that came with the carts was not reliable. A few cells were not getting filled. But, I can't blame the problems on that.

Dealer promised to put in the new software to extend range/limp mode point, but hasn't yet. Generally speaking, response has been reluctant to acknowledge problems in general with early RXVs and slow to respond. It took a couple of big months of autobrake failures in the 2009 season to get them replaced, and no response at all concerning the battery issue we are now having.

We are at 2 1/2 years with them, and will never make 5.

I have had use the Internet to discover problems and solutions. I worked with a fleet of Club Cars before this and that fleet never had these problems.

This post has been edited by cartboy on January 30, 2011 - 03:57 PM
PMEmail Poster
dougmcp
Posted: January 30, 2011 - 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Cartaholic

Roseville, CA

Here's my thoughts:

First, solenoid failure/autobrake lockup. All solenoids were replaced. A few of them have failed.
Just a warranty issue, if only a few have failed get them replaced and all should be good.

Now, batteries/charge quality is the big problem. Several regularly die during the first 18. Some won't accept a charge, just keep flipping chargers to flashing red.
What kind of batteries are they using? Trojan has had some issues with their 12v models in the past couple of years.
Are the battery chargers bringing the batteries up to full charge?
How do the batteries load test or hydrometer readings, any indications?
If they are no good to start with, all the charging in the world won't help.

Some battery terminals and cable connectors are heavily corroded and "dissolved".
IMO, that's just poor maintenance.

PMEmail Poster
cartboy
Posted: January 30, 2011 - 04:27 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (dougmcp @ January 30, 2011 - 04:00 PM)
Here's my thoughts:

First, solenoid failure/autobrake lockup. All solenoids were replaced. A few of them have failed.
Just a warranty issue, if only a few have failed get them replaced and all should be good.

Now, batteries/charge quality is the big problem. Several regularly die during the first 18. Some won't accept a charge, just keep flipping chargers to flashing red.
What kind of batteries are they using? Trojan has had some issues with their 12v models in the past couple of years.
Are the battery chargers bringing the batteries up to full charge?
How do the batteries load test or hydrometer readings, any indications?
If they are no good to start with, all the charging in the world won't help.

IMO, that's just poor maintenance.

In order:

Agreed. All solenoids were replaced on warranty. Still waiting for replacements for those that have failed again.

Trojans.
Don't know.
No meter or diagnostic tool.
Same.
Agreed.

Probably. Another EZ GO dealer playing at our course said he coats all the terminals and cable connectors with something before the carts go out the door, and his customers don't have any problems. We do what we can with what we have. We check and fill battery water at least weekly during hot months.

He's also the one that told us about the software upgrade to extend range by lowering the limp mode point.

But, like I said, no diagnostics to use. I've asked for that.

With the Club Cars, I could shoot the little dash window with the handheld, and tell what was going on.
PMEmail Poster
cartboy
Posted: January 31, 2011 - 07:45 AM
Quote Post

My message is that as I scour the Internet and try to gather information from forums, it appears that the rest of the world has moved on, dismissing the problems of early RXVs as having been corrected by E Z GO, but, we have not. We are still stuck with all early RXVs, still having the problems, and little effort is being made to help us get out from under those problems.

We cannot operate a golf course, put out a full tee sheet in the upcoming season, with a significant portion of our carts in time out, and having to go out and replace some we put out each day. You can't replace carts that have died on the first 18 when so many are out-of-service.

If you have ever been at a bag drop with a half-dozen tee times worth of golfers standing there, not able to go to the range or to the first tee, because carts are lined up against the wall waiting for service or because the carts they would be put in died on their first 18, you would understand.

How did we get by on busy days last year? We rented used gas Club Cars. Think about that.
PMEmail Poster
dougmcp
Posted: January 31, 2011 - 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Cartaholic

Roseville, CA

Here are some points to consider:

There's only so much hand holding a factory or service company can do. If you need a meter to analyze voltages and troubleshoot, they are available from Harbor Freight for as little as $2.99 and a hydrometer can be had for less than $6 at any automotive supply. Without these tools it's a big guessing game and finger pointing session that leads nowhere. If you can't get the golf course to finance that $10 purchase they shouldn't be in business.

Corrosion on battery posts is due to acid on the posts and air getting to it. Any material that seals the post from the air will work, be it vaseline, axle grease or any of the spray-on terminal protectors that you can buy at auto stores.

I would doubt that any software updates will change the operational outcome of your carts, it may extend the operation but won't fix your problems.

To me, maintenance is a key to successful fleet operations and if you have to rent carts because yours are not working, it seems to me that the golf course is in need of a service company that can look after carts for them.
PMEmail Poster
HotRodCarts
Posted: January 31, 2011 - 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Cartaholic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3
Illinois

I've only worked on a few EZGO RXV carts but I've heard about the problems associated with them. I'm a BIG EZGO fan but I don't care for the RXV. They ride like a truck and they're not to eye appealing plus all the problems they're known for. I did a little review on them a couple years ago and my view hasn't changed at all on the RXV. :thumbdown:
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
cartboy
Posted: January 31, 2011 - 07:58 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (dougmcp @ January 31, 2011 - 08:33 AM)
Here are some points to consider:

There's only so much hand holding a factory or service company can do. If you need a meter to analyze voltages and troubleshoot, they are available from Harbor Freight for as little as $2.99 and a hydrometer can be had for less than $6 at any automotive supply. Without these tools it's a big guessing game and finger pointing session that leads nowhere. If you can't get the golf course to finance that $10 purchase they shouldn't be in business.

Corrosion on battery posts is due to acid on the posts and air getting to it. Any material that seals the post from the air will work, be it vaseline, axle grease or any of the spray-on terminal protectors that you can buy at auto stores.

I would doubt that any software updates will change the operational outcome of your carts, it may extend the operation but won't fix your problems.

To me, maintenance is a key to successful fleet operations and if you have to rent carts because yours are not working, it seems to me that the golf course is in need of a service company that can look after carts for them.

Granted, a few dollars worth of tools, meters, etc. may have helped, but like you alluded to earlier, if a battery is bad, or if solenoids don't work, etc., all the maintenance in the world won't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. In addition to myself, and a couple other attentive cartbarn employees, our course also has a full-time mechanic who has been involved with trying to figure these boogers out. &, yes, he has metered batteries and found the bad ones.

I have kept a log, so know what carts are dying. To see if it would warrant the time and expense to do the entire fleet, for the four worst offenders I removed all the battery cables, cleaned them and the terminals, and then coated all connectors and terminals. It did not stop those four carts from dying. The one I got in the other day, that was dead when we unplugged it, was one of them.

I can look at a cart and by the number on it tell you what all has happened to it over two years.

I have spent far more time trying to keep this fleet on the course than I ever did with Club Cars.

What came first, the defects in the carts, the lack of service from our dealer, or insufficient maintenance and diagnostic by us? Is our job to do routine maintenance or to diagnose defective carts? Why have I had to find out all the problems of the early RXVs from the Internet?

When I worked with the Club Car fleet, we did not have battery problems, but Club Car had had some battery problems. So, one Spring before the season they replaced all the batteries. I also know the Club Car dealer stops by that course every Wednesday, so keeps up with what's going on, or not going on.

As to hiring a service company, that might be easy to suggest in hindsight, but in the real world, the economy of the last two years, that is not something that would be opted for, or be indicated, before the fact. No other courses in our area find it necessary to have a service company. Again, they all have Club Cars.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

This post has been edited by cartboy on January 31, 2011 - 08:07 PM
PMEmail Poster
cartboy
Posted: February 1, 2011 - 02:43 PM
Quote Post

We seem to have digressed from the OP, "Anyone else having problems with RXVs?" to "Whose fault is it we're having problems?"

If we could, can we go back to the OP, "Anyone else having problems with RXVs?"

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
cartboy
Posted: November 13, 2011 - 08:44 PM
Quote Post

I have an extensive thread discussing our ongoing problems with RXVs on another forum. When I post it here, it gets changed to "Bad Pic Host". If you wanna read about it, maybe google RXV Auto-Brake Problem III.

I tried to link to it, but can't post a workable linkable.

Batteries continue to fail, replaced solenoids failing. 30 or our fleet of 60 are not reliable to put out on the course.
PMEmail Poster
cartboy
Posted: March 17, 2013 - 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Just to update this, as I have been all along on another cart forum, we were eventually able to get E Z Go to take our 2008's and we got a fleet or 65 2012's.

I won't go into the 117 batteries they replaced before they finally gave up on the 2008's, because the main point is that the solenoids still fail on the 2012's. E Z Go knows it and plans on it, because they devised a system of switching wires so you don't have to reach down through the engine compartment to pull the release lever to free locked-up auto brakes.

Like I said, details are elsewhere, just search:

RXV Auto-Brake Problem III

Sorry I had a problem sharing my experiences here.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

LoFi Version
HotRod Golf Carts

Cartaholics.com - The Golf Cart Forum for the Cart Enthusiast. Golf Cart Repair, Golf Cart Troubleshooting, Golf Cart Wiring Diagrams, Golf Cart Manuals, Golf Cart FAQ, Golf Cart Reviews, Golf Cart Parts, Golf Cart Accessories, Golf Cart Lift Kits, Custom Golf Carts, etc.
Cartaholics
2005-2014 HotRodCarts LLC
All Rights Reserved
No part of this web site may be reproduced in any way
or by any means, without the prior written permission of HotRodCarts LLC